February 15, 2013
While some families may be jetting off to warm, tropical locales or packing their parkas for a ski getaway up North, you may find your February vacation plans a bit more, shall we say…limited. Hopefully the Westin Copley Place has the solution for you and your children next week if your plans have landed you in Massachusetts. Continue Reading
February 9, 2013
Concierge Jennifer Morotto shares an outline for planning the ultimate Valentine’s Day:
- Determine the atmosphere you want first: Completely romantic? Fine dining or a little more casual? How about the type of cuisine? Want to try something new and exciting, or stick with an old standby? This will help narrow down your choices.
- Make reservations early! February 14th is one of the most popular date nights of the year, so plan ahead!
- Flexibility goes a long way: Everyone wants to eat dinner at 7:00. If the restaurant is out of availability at that time, possibly consider having an earlier dinner, and follow up with a nice romantic walk, and dessert and nightcap at a different location. Check out some live music, or follow up with a friendly game of pool!
- Personal touches: Really want to make your partner remember the night? If you’re heading out to eat, give a call to the restaurant manager to see if they can add a little something to your experience; two glasses of champagne sent out upon your arrival, a candle, or even just a note waiting at your dates’ spot. Remember when he said he wanted to try that new restaurant that just opened up? Or she really loved those earrings? Surprise! You were paying attention! We at the concierge desk are also happy to help with special arrangements and recommendations!
- Dress Code: If you happened to make your own reservations at a new restaurant, check to see if there are any dress code requirements. There’s nothing worse than wearing your favorite pair of jeans out to one of the few places in Boston where jeans are not allowed! You want to make sure you and your date are comfortable both in dress and environment!
Some of our favorite places: Bistro du Midi, Sorellina, Lucca, Post 390, Grill 23, Davio’s, Stephanie’s on Newbury, Piattini, Tapeo, Max Brenner (THE place for chocolate!), The Beehive (live music)
January 3, 2013
A message from Michael Jorgensen, General Manager, Westin Copley Place Boston
As we move into the new year, we’re excited to relaunch Westin Behind the Bean with an updated design and fresh content. Our team of bloggers (all Westin Copley associates) are ready to bring you an insider’s perspective on all things Boston – dining, community, local events, history and secrets that only a Bostonian would know – as well as tips for travel, event and wedding planning and more.
We strive to make meaningful connections with guests every day at Westin Copley and enjoy the opportunity to do so online with those near and far. We hope you enjoy the blog and let us know what you think by commenting on posts or sending us ideas!
December 6, 2012
With the holidays comes tradition and we have no shortage of new and old traditions here at Westin Copley. Some, like in this instance, are old and new – i.e. we’re bringing back the gingerbread house!
Our talented pastry team spent a little over three weeks constructing the Westin Copley Gingerbread House. They started with a vision of what they wanted the house to look like, created a template on paper and then started baking. In addition to gingerbread, they used fondant, royal icing, marzipan and candy to build and decorate the structure. Everything was hand piped or shaped – from trees to characters.
Do you build a gingerbread house or village each holiday season? Share your favorite holiday traditions in the comments below!
November 13, 2012
On November 11, 2011, we hosted the first Military Wedding to Remember, where we gave away a dream wedding to one deserving military couple. With the help of our partner, FOX 25 News and a host of sponsors, we gave away another dream wedding on November 11, 2012.
Our bride and groom, Karyn Sampson and Mac Luciani, started the process by submitting an essay about why they deserved the Wedding to Remember. Once chosen by the public, who voted for one of 3 couples chosen by the judges panel, Mac and Karyn started the whirlwind process to plan their wedding – in six short weeks. From choosing a dress at L’Elite to finding cake flavors from Montilio’s Bakery with Karyn’s 5th grade class and sending invitations from The Paper Store, our wedding specialist, Jennifer Wheaton, assisted them throughout the process. They chose furniture at Bernie & Phyl’s, appliances from Baron’s Major Brands and Appliances and practiced their first dance with the team at Arthur Murray Dance Studio.
The team at Westin Copley along with Elizabeth Warner from FOX 25 News helped them kick off their wedding weekend with a sneak peek at the suite they would stay in after the wedding. After an intimate ceremony that included the couple’s dog, Gemma, Mr. and Mrs. Luciani and family and friends danced the night away to tunes from Joey Scott & The Connection, after dining on a delicious meal. And after all that planning and the excitement of the festivities, Mac and Karyn will honeymoon at the Sheraton Puerto Rico.
We’re already planning for 2013 and look forward to another Military Wedding to Remember!
Congratulations Mac & Karyn!
August 24, 2012
The cool fall breezes are starting to creep into the morning air. School supplies and book bags are on clearance everywhere you look. Those great weekend trips to Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket are behind you. Summer is winding down (we’re sad too!), which is a great excuse to check out all the fantastic roof decks the city has to offer. Located in almost every neighborhood of Boston, these spots are the sure answer to your craving for outdoor good times before summer says goodbye and autumn bursts in, with its full color palette, and new seasonal things to do!
May 23, 2012
Recent news reports about the dangers posed to our environment through the industrialization of our food supply have encouraged consumers to learn more about the importance of sustainability and how they can take part.
Luckily for consumers, Turner Fisheries is partnering with Boston’s own New England Aquarium to educate our guests about the importance of being “ocean friendly.” Both Turner Fisheries and the New England Aquarium recognize the importance of being environmentally friendly and practice sustainable operations in the restaurant and aquarium. Turners uses only fresh, sustainable fish from local sources; the Aquarium collaborates with fishermen and the seafood industry to minimize the environmental impacts of fishing, and helps educate the public about responsible seafood choices.
May 7, 2012
Mother’s Day is fast approaching (Sunday!) but there is still time to pick up a great gift or find a fun way to celebrate Mom. With options from a spa package to a photo book, you’ll find something on our list that is sure to please! Or, add your ideas in the comments section!
May 4, 2012
The fifth of May, or Cinco de Mayo, is observed in the United States as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride, and to commemorate the cause of freedom and democracy during the first years of the American Civil War. Instead of spending an entire vacation budget for a flight south of the border, you can get your fiesta on right here in Beantown! Here are four suggestions for unique ways to celebrate the festive day, without finding the worm at the bottom of the tequila bottle. Ole!